This #GivingTuesday Help Build the Resistance
2017 has been an unforgettable year, to say the least. Since the presidential election a little over a year ago until now we have seen what can only be described as some of the most racist political attacks against people of color, immigrants, women and LGBTQ folks. What we have learned though in these dark times is that the best defense we have against hate is each other. So while 2017 was difficult for many of us, it also inspired hope in each other and we were witness to some incredible acts of resistance in Philadelphia and beyond.
2017 marked some important resistance milestones for Juntos.
- On May 1st we organized the largest Philadelphia based pro-immigrant rights rally in recent history for our “Day without Immigrant, Black and Brown Bodies” with over 5,000 people in attendance.
- On October 11th, after 11 months in sanctuary in Arch Street Methodist Church, we were able to help Javier Flores be free from the fear of deportation and to be with his family after three years of persecution at the hands of ICE.
- More recently, in November of 2017, we built our first “Community Resistance Zone” a vision established by our community to educate and protect our families from the threat of deportations, raids, criminalization and hate by educating our community and their neighbors to be our best defense in these times. In just two days over 250 volunteers door knocked on over 3,000 doors in South Philadelphia and trained over 1,300 people on their rights to defend themselves and their neighbors in case of a raid and over 500 families signed up to resist hate and racism in our community in a 4 mile radius in South Philly.
We can only hope to build this kind of power, hope and resistance in 2018 but we can’t do it without you. Today on #GivingTuesday we launch our #Juntos15for15 campaign in celebration of 15 years in the movement and for 15+ years more.
Please consider donating at
to build with us.
- A $150 donation helps to provide food for our “Know your Rights” or “Community Resistance Zone” trainings and community events.
- A $1,500 donation will help secure our youth leadership retreat in 2018 for our youth to fight the school-to-prison/deportation pipeline
- And even $15 will help us get to our goal.
Please be on the lookout for our official Quinceñera party invite coming soon! You for sure will be invited.
In the Resistance,
Executive Director of Juntos